User's Guide for NIFS staff,Collaboration researchers,COE and SOKENDAI students
- Open 24 hours
The Library is office open Monday through Friday from 9:00~17:00.
You need a NIFS ID card or a visitor card to enter and to leave the library after 17:00.
- Registration is required in order to use the library.
Please visit the Library counter to register.
Instruction for using the Library / Contents
How to borrow
Please visit the library’s counter (3F) or use the terminal on the basement floor to follow the procedures below.
- Please place your NIFS ID card on the reader and confirm your name on the screen.
- Please scan the bar code of the document you wish to borrow.
- Click “finish” to close.
The number of books or documents and term
The number of books or documents you may borrow and terms are below
|Books||Within one month|
|Bound Journal||Within one week|
|Unbound Journal||Within one week.
For the newest journal issue, available the following week.
For the journals published after the year 2000 which were not processed through the computer, please visit the Library counter to fill out the “Special card for library materials.”
|Audiovisual Material||Within 2 weeks|
|Maximum Number for borrowing||Unlimited for all classifications|
Extension of book lending period
If you wish to extend the lending period of your items, please follow the instructions of the book lending terminal. You may extend the lending period at the OPAC through the internet with your registered ID and password. However, you may not extend the lending period if there is a reservation by another user.
You may reserve a book to borrow that is currently checked out by another user.
You may also reserve a book through NIFS OPAC (NIFS Internal Collection Search) or other applications.
Please return the book to the return tray on the Library counter. Or you may place the book in the book return box next to the entrance to the library office.
Approximately 4,300 titles of electronic journals and ebooks are available.
If you cannot find the book(s) or the journal(s) you are looking for, you may order a photocopy or the article or request the book from another library.
Book Purchase Request
The Library purchases books and other materials to support educational and research activities at NIFS. You may request the purchase of books you wish to have placed in the library. Please note that not all purchase requests can be fulfilled.
- How can I locate and obtain the documents I want to refer?
- How can I search for references?
- Could you give me a practical advice about library use?
Please ask librarians the above questions at the counter on the 3rd floor.We accept an inquiry by email.
How to find the document
Searching for books and journals
- Collection Search
- To search books or articles by author or by title
- Table of Contents Search
- To search books by words or sentence from the table of contents
- Special Feature Search
- To search feature articles (ex. conference name) in the journal
- Bulletins and Report Search
- To search the reports (NIFS, IPPF, PPLK HIFT, Overseas reports)
- Crossing Search
- Books can be searched through the National Diet Library, CiNii, and other systems and databases.
SCOPUS, Web of Science, Scientific and technical literature reports 「energy・ nuclear engineering」, CiNii (provided by National Institute of Informatics) are available.
In addition, it is summarized as databases , so please use it too.
Please feel free to stop by the library counter, if you have any questions or require help looking for the materials.